Top Ten Thursday - Christmas Song





Welcome back to Top Ten Thursday!



Today I'd like to try something a little bit different. No list this time. You choose one of your top ten Christmas songs (if you participated last year or just pick one you like) and create a back story. 

Example: Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Michael Bublé 

We want to hear about the characters in that song, and especially about all the fun they had last year! Your story is only supposed to contain ten sentences. OK? 

As I have used my current favorite Christmas song for the example above, I went ahead and picked another one for this post, it's another all time favorite: 



Mariah Carey - All I want for Christmas is you:


I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true oh

All I want for Christmas is you
I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need, and I
Don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I don't need to hang my stocking
There upon the fireplace
Santa Claus won't make me happy
With a toy on Christmas day

I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
All I want for Christmas is you

I won't ask for much this Christmas
I won't even wish for snow, and I
I just wanna keep on waiting
Underneath the mistletoe
I won't make a list and send it
To the North Pole for Saint Nick
I won't even stay awake
To hear those magic reindeer click
'Cause I just want you here tonight
Holding on to me so tight
What more can I do
Oh, Baby all I want for Christmas is you

All the lights are shining
So brightly everywhere
And the sound of children's
Laughter fills the air
And everyone is singing
I hear those sleigh bells ringing
Santa won't you bring me
The one I really need
Won't you please bring my baby to me quickly

I don't want a lot for Christmas
This is all I'm asking for
I just wanna see my baby
Standing right outside my door
I just want you for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true
Baby all I want for Christmas is you
All I want for Christmas is you, baby



So what do I think is her (back) story? This is what I have come up with:
  1. The main character is a romantic girl in her early 30s (just learned that it's obviously unacceptable to call women over 30 "girls"?!)
  2. Her long-term boyfriend dumped her earlier this year
  3. All of her girlfriends are married with kids or live with their boyfriends and have successful careers
  4. She has been feeling lost and lonely and is desperate to settle down
  5. At work she met this great guy, tall, handsome and charming
  6. They went ice skating in Central Park and slurping hot chocolate in an intimate café - I like to think it was the Serendipity from the same-named movie!
  7. So far she has never been to his place
  8. They were supposed to spend the Holidays together and have been making all kinds of plans: renting a cabin in the snowy mountains, very "last Christmas", another favorite of mine
  9. He ducked out at the last minute under a rather lame pretext
  10. As she is going to find out in January, he is married and has no intention of leaving his wife
Am I being cruel? I really feel this could be happening here. 

Do you agree? What are your thoughts? Which song would you chose? Let me know in the comments or link up your own post! 

What's next?


For the last post in 2017, which publishes on Thursday, December 28, I'm asking you to list all the things that need to be said or done before we turn a new page. Missed opportunities, highlights, unfinished business, tell us about your top ten! You may sign up here.





We blinked, and 2017 was over, a new year has started, and we're not making resolutions because we may still have some unfinished business, and that's OK. We're lucky to be around to get it done. 
That's why for the first post of 2018 (going live on Thursday, January 4) we will focus on the  (fun) things we want to do more of. You know, having coffee with friends, reading that book,  taking a trip,... Can't wait to read those! Sign up here.







Comments