NHL Playoff Puck Brownies


Too bad that the Chicago Blackhawks dropped out last night - even though we can't be there, I was hoping for a 2013 revival! 

Anyway, the other day I had discovered a cool technique on how to apply hearts on a cake and thought it'd be cool to adapt it my way.

This is a 14 minutes tutorial on how to make a heart cake roll - presented by an enthusiastic, affectionate, slightly chaotic lady:




Or you can practice your Spanish and watch how to make a rainbow heart cake roll:(duration: 11 minutes)


As an alternative, I took a few pictures of my version (no cake roll, I made brownies). There's really only a few things to consider:

Print out your shapes - if they are not symmetrical, make sure to mirror them, I'll show you how:

This is the original picture, well, this would be the picture. Honestly, though, that gentleman looks kind of hard to draw:


Right mouse click, "format picture", then click on the 3D rotation and tell your computer to rotate your pic by 180° on the X axle



This is what your Native American looks like now:
You put your picture(s) under your parchment paper and fix it / them with some tape (make sure to remove tape before baking):


"Paint" on the parchment paper, using a pastry bag filled with a small amount of batter. I will give you measurements below.


I am not very experienced or talented in piping. If I do this again, I will cut a smaller hole in the bag. For the first time it didn't turn out too bad.


Very important: put your tray in the freezer for an hour or more. You want your painting to become firm, so when you pour the brownie batter over it, your piece of art won't get destroyed.

Bake, let cool, turn, and carefully remove the parchment paper. Tadaaaa!
Are you smiling? I was!


Use a round cookie cutter for the "puck" shape.


Place on the hockey field (optional)



Recipe for the white batter:

1 egg
0.5 cup granulated sugar
0.25 cup butter, room temperature
0.5 cup all purpose flour
1 pinch of salt


Recipe for the brown batter:

2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 sachet vanilla sugar
0.5 cup butter, room temperature
1.33 cup dark Swiss (important, do not use just any chocolate!) chocolate, melted
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 shot espresso ( I did this today! It's totally optional, and as soon as I put it in the oven, I read about a lady who might even add 4 shots!)

Bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes - the toothstick will tell you if it's done.



Epilogue, dated May 31st, 2015: 

Brace yourself, people, I'm gonna make a new batch soon!





Comments